Seed Needs, Rue Herb (Ruta graveolens) Twin Pack of 200 Seeds Each Non-GMO
- Package Dimensions: 8.3 x 5.5 x 0.25 inches
- Item Weight: 0.81 ounces
- Manufacturer: Seed Needs
- Item model number: B004GGEX8E
- Quality Rue seeds packaged by Seed Needs. Intended for the current and the following growing season. Packets are 3.25" wide by 4.50" tall and come with a full colored illustration on the front side, as well as detailed sowing instructions on the reverse.
- Rue plants are grown as an ornamental, as well as a medicinal herb. The plants will grow anywhere between 18 to 24 inches tall, producing blue-green leaves, with small yellow flowers.
- The branches can be trimmed to resemble a bush. Having said that, Rue can be an attractive addition to flower gardens as well. You can add them in raised beds, flower beds and in pots & containers as well. When pruning and deadheading, it is recommended to wear gardening gloves, as Rue will secrete an oil that may irritate the skin.
- Rue herbs are categorized as a perennial plant. They establish a deep root system the first year of growth, while the plant life on the surface wilts with frost. Rue plants will then reemerge and regrow in the Spring.
- All Rue seeds sold by Seed Needs are Non-GMO based seed products and are intended for the current & the following growing season. All seeds are produced from open pollinated plants, stored in a temperature controlled facility and constantly moved out due to popularity.
Twin Pack of 200 Seeds Each (400 Seeds Total) Grow Rue herbs from freshly harvested Ruta graveolens herb seeds. Rue plants are grown as an ornamental, as well as a medicinal herb. The plants will grow anywhere between 18 to 24 inches tall, producing blue-green leaves, with small yellow flowers. The branches can be trimmed to resemble a bush. Having said that, Rue can be an attractive addition to flower gardens as well. You can add them in raised beds, flower beds and in pots & containers as well. When pruning and deadheading, it is recommended to wear gardening gloves, as Rue will secrete an oil that may irritate the skin. Rue herbs are categorized as a perennial plant. They establish a deep root system the first year of growth, while the plant life on the surface wilts with frost. Rue plants will then reemerge and regrow in the Spring. Rue herbs were often used to rid the body of worms, much like Wormwood. It is also used to relieve intestinal cramping as well. As a culinary herb, fresh Rue leaves are added in some dishes to flavor meats, cheese, and eggs. Sowing the Seed - Rue herbs can be started indoors, or directly outdoors as well. If started indoors, we recommend using peat pots as your starter pots. Sow 2 to 3 seeds per pots, 6 to 8 weeks prior to the last frost. The seeds will require direct sunlight to germinate successfully, so having said that, do not bury the seeds with topsoil. Instead lightly press the seeds into place. Transplant into the garden, or direct sow when the weather is warm and all danger of frost has passed. Growing Conditions - Rue herbs thrive in an area that receives full sunlight for the majority of the day, with daytime temperatures at around 70F. Provide Rue with a poor, sandy soil that is also well draining. To improve drainage, we always recommend adding a light compost to any areas containing hard, compact soil. Water daily until plants are established, slowly reducing the moisture provided. Rue plants are somewhat drought tolerant. Germination & Growth - Rue seeds tend to germinate within roughly 7 to 14 days after sowing. The plants can grow to a mature height of anywhere between 18 to 24 inches tall and can be spaced about 16 to 18 inches apart from one another. Rue herbs are grown as a medicinal herb, but can also act as a lovely ornamental as well. The plants produce attractive, blue-green leaves with small yellow flowers. Beautiful Packet Designs Each seed packet comes with a beautifully illustrated image of the variety to be grown.Details on the front include which variety is grown, as well as the scientific name and estimated seed count.Detailed information about the specific crop is found on the front right.Packets measure 3.25 inches wide by 4.5 inches tall.Save your seeds for the next season! Many people don't know that seeds actually don't expire for years if they are kept in optimal conditions. Place unused seed packets in a ziplock bag, press the air out and keep them in a cool, dry and dark location for next year! Read more Detailed Sowing Information Easy to follow seed sowing directions are presented on the reverse side of each seed packet.QR codes are displayed on each seed packet for easy reordering, or for additional information on the variety purchased.Each seed packet has a latex glue that allows you to self seal and save unused seeds. Read more Ruta graveolens, commonly called rue, is native to southern Europe. It is a glabrous, glaucous, woody-based, shrubby perennial with aromatic, fern-like, compound leaves. It typically grows in a mound to 2 feet tall. Read more Anise Herb Anise Hyssop Valerian Herb Rue Herb Plant Type Herb Herb Herb Herb Season Annual Perennial Perennial Perennial Color White Flowers Violet Flowers Light Pink Yellow Flowers Plant Height 12" to 18" Tall 30" to 36" Tall 36" to 48" Tall 18" to 24" Tall Plant Width 12" to 24" Spread 24" to 30" Spread 12" to 24" Spread 18" to 24" Spread Maturity 130 Days to Seed 75 to 80 Days 500 to 550 Days (Root) 100 to 125 Days Uses Culinary / Medicinal Culinary / Medicinal Medicinal Ornamental / Medicinal Light Preference Full Sun Full Sun / Part Sun Full Sun / Part Sun Full sun Heirloom ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓